Sunday, March 4, 2018

Vinyl-Decorated Shirts of 2017

I didn't make nearly as many shirts with vinyl designs on them last year as I did in previous years, but I did still end up with a few. Aside from my husband's, which I already blogged about, here they are!

  First, one for my youngest brother, in July. As usual, I used Jalie 2918 with a slightly narrowed neckband:

  This brother loves to 'geek out' about photography and music, among other things, and he has a slightly sarcastic sense of humor, so I thought this would work for him:

  I didn't even end up taking any photos of the back, as it was just plain, but I did get one of that twin-needled hem:

  Next, a pair for my sister-in-law's baby and husband. The husband one is Jalie 2918, and the baby one is Jalie 3133. The fabric for these and the prior shirt is grey 12-oz knit from Nick of Time Textiles

  I used brown vinyl and a slightly western-looking font for these- I had a hard time striking a balance with size, since the adult shirt has much less text than the baby one, and the smaller the font got, the busier it looked.

  It worked out in the end though!

  I cut the pattern straight across just above the bodysuit portion of the baby pattern, added a hem allowance, and hemmed it.

  I decided to go with the envelope neck even though it doesn't match the crew-neck of the adult shirt as well, because I wasn't sure how well the crew-neck on the baby pattern would go over a baby head!

  As with last time, I changed the sewing order so the sleeve would be finished more neatly:

  And finally, my favorite, and the one I spent the most time on- one for my sister-in-love. She loves being a mama, and I was actually planning to make a shirt with this design on it for her last year but switched to a dress last-minute. Pink is her favorite color, so I had to use that for the shirt! I was originally planning to use white for the vinyl, but it just didn't show up well enough, so I went with bright pink instead.

  I hand-drew the design for the front of this one, then scanned it in and went over it in Illustrator before moving it into Silhouette Studio and cutting it, which is why it took significantly longer!

  I added a little heart to the shoulder:

  And a pair of them on the back:

  I used Jalie 2805 for this one, but went a size up from A's measurements for a more relaxed fit. The knit is from Girl Charlee- I think it's this light pink, but I bought it a couple of years ago so I'm not positive.

  I used bright pink thread that matched the vinyl for the hems:

I'm really happy with this one!

And that's it for last year's vinyl-decorated gifts!
Thanks for stopping by,

2 comments:

  1. I love the heart details you added! How well does the vinyl hold up in the wash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does okay in a cool-water wash, but it starts cracking and peeling after a handful of trips through the dryer. It seems to crack and peel less on thinner fabrics with less stretch, even when tumble-dried, but for it to really last it's best to air-dry.

      Delete